Art Director / Designer
Welcome to Rare Cool Stuff!
Not all Rare Cool Stuff projects are available to the public, though. Some of our projects are custom limited editions we produced for clients. As co-founder Geoff Gans puts it, “They’re so rare and cool, no one else can get them.”
The good news: You can still see and hear sights and sounds from many of these projects here at Rare Cool Stuff. Enjoy your visit!
Who We Are, What We Do
Rare Cool Stuff Unltd. was founded by a small group of creative, award-winning media producers. Each has his own expertise, all share a passion for music, visual art and popular culture. Founders Geoff Gans, Gary Gonzales, Scott Bowman and Stephen K. Peeples use their collective knowledge of and direct experience in art direction, commercial design, specialty packaging, environmentally friendly manufacturing, entertainment marketing, social media, Web development and other online technology to produce top-quality limited-edition packages.
Rare Cool Stuff Unltd.’s founders are also proud to keep the company’s design, print and bindery work in the United States, in the interest of keeping Americans employed.
Rare Cool Stuff Unltd. advocates Green” printing and packaging. RCS print media projects are produced on Forest Stewardship Council-certified substrates, and in most cases created in partnership with FSC- and Rainforest Alliance Smartwood-certified paper mills. RCS goals include increasing consumer awareness of FSC initiatives (fsc.org). The company’s efforts in producing and promoting “green” print media and packaging have been acknowledged and promoted by the Rainforest Alliance.
Rare Cool Stuff Partners
- Geoff Gans, Rare Cool Stuff Co-Founder, Art Director/Designer and Producer, and head of his own Geoff Gans Design, is a five-time Grammy nominee who has created high-end boxed sets, album and book packages for creatively driven clients such as Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, John Fogerty, Sony Music, Concord Music Group, and the Morrison Hotel Gallery, among others. Read more about Geoff.GEOFF GANS
Art Director / Designer
- Gary Gonzales, Rare Cool Stuff Unltd.’s Vice President of Packaging and Print Media, is a specialist in all forms of packaging. He also specializes in sourcing certified sustainably produced paper for use in "green" print media. Gary managed and produced the sustainable packaging and contents for Neil Young's “Archives Vol.1” CD boxed set, which earned the 2010 Grammy award for music boxed sets for co-designers Young and famed art director Gary Burden. Read more about Gary.GARY GONZALES
Producer of Print and Packaging
- Stephen K. Peeples, Rare Cool Stuff's Vice President/New Media & Editorial, is a Grammy-nominated record producer ("Monterey International Pop Festival," 1992, his first project with Geoff Gans), an award-winning radio writer/producer ("The Lost Lennon Tapes," original 128 episodes, 1988-1990), and noted author of the book that accompanied the “Les Paul: The Legend & The Legacy” boxed set (1991). Read more about Stephen.STEPHEN K. PEEPLES
- Rare Cool Stuff IT Chief Scott Bowman brings more than two decades of technical experience with multimillion-dollar companies and a passion for pop culture collectibles to Rare Cool Stuff Unltd. Joining Gans and Gonzales in 2010, Bowman is the company’s technical partner and webmaster, as well as an email marketing and social media specialist. Read more about Scott.SCOTT BOWMAN
- Rare Cool Stuff Associate Producer Paige Hagen is a digital artist and writer with experience in copy editing, Web management and social media. Read more about Paige.PAIGE HAGEN
Click buttons to see our partners.
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings have released Bob Dylan’s “The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12” collection in two-CD, 6-CD and 18-CD formats.
The latter two include “Mixing Up the Medicine,” a book of photos by renowned photographers who caught Dylan in action during this epic period in his creative career. Rare Cool Stuff Unltd. proudly produced “Mixing Up the Medicine” as a document of Dylan’s epic sessions for “Highway 61 Revisited,” “Bringing it All Back Home” and “Blonde on Blonde.”
The music on “The Cutting Edge” is drawn from a time when Dylan’s fame was reaching international proportions. In just a few short years, a cult phenomenon, a concert favorite and a treasured recording artist had become a worldwide best seller with multiple radio hits. This 12th edition of Dylan’s “Bootleg Series” chronicles the visual impact of that international fame.